- Try to use ATMs during daylight hours. If you must go at night, do not go alone.
- Avoid ATMs that are not well lit or clearly visible from the street.
- Be aware of people loitering or sitting in cars around ATMs.
- Prepare your transaction ahead of time. Do not spend much time at the machine.
- Do not give out your Personal Identification Number (PIN) to anyone! Many
- thieves will attempt to steal your PIN number by calling you on the phone and
- claiming they are the police, security officers, or bank officers. Memorize it and
- do not keep a written copy of it in your wallet.
- Either keep your ATM receipt or tear it up and throw it away.